Thursday, July 3, 2008

I may not have been posting a lot in the last two months, but I have been doing some creative things. I have taken more of SueB's classes. I was not able to keep up with the first one completely and do need to finish up a few items for it. The second class, Creative Mixed Media Journalling Techniques started just as the school year was winding down and I have had little time to really get into some of the great techniques that have been covered so far.

In other news . . . I was involved in a book swap. Coincidentally, the person to whom I was to be sending a book mentioned that she had seen some of SueB's books and really liked them. Therefore, I used some of the techniques from SueB's class and created a book with the theme "Our Town" -- my town happens to be Ottawa, Canada's Capital.

The cover is made of a stiff stabilizer that was painted red. Then I used a added printouts of photos that I took, mostly of famous building in downtown Ottawa, including our Parliament Buildings. I covered the first layer of photos with a sheet of white tissues and used gel medium to hold it down. This also made the tissue more translucent. I added some focus photos of top, to highlight them. The whole was then coved with fusible web and a layer of off-white tulle. The first photo shows the cover opened up with some of the photos being more prominent than others. The second shows the book closed with hand made cord to keep it closed. I searched everywhere for red maple leaf buttons to make the closure, but could not find them.

The last photo shows the inside of the book with the sewn in signatures.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! What a lovely journal this is. Your swap partner is going to love it!