Thursday, July 31, 2008

Haiku a day

I am still plugging away at various exercises from Sharon Boggan's Studio Journals class. I have lots of pages of wonderful design "seeds" and am having lots of fun.

Yesterday in one of the forums for the class, someone mentioned Virginia Spiegel's daily Haikus, she writes five of them each day about ordinary things she sees from where she sits to have her coffee each morning. She tells how examining the object (whatever it is) helps one to see. I thought the idea was great, but I am only aiming for one Haiku each day. Click on the link above to see her process of writing Haiku. I did not use her method exactly, but did borrow the idea of thinking about the bar from all five senses. Today's Haiku is about a mini O'Henry Bar sitting on my desk.

Bright yellow wrapper
Nutty sweetness in the bar
Conquers my hunger

Yesterday's Haiku about my mini tripod:

Orange, silver, black
Strange three legged bird stands tall
Holds digital eye

OK, a poet I am not, but I think this is a useful daily exercise -- sort of like stretching the noticing (focusing and seeing) muscles. It helps me to focus and see that which is around me, to notice it and focus on it in more detail. Perhaps with a start like that to each day, during the rest of the my day I may notice more and more richly.

No comments: