Thursday, April 29, 2010

Getting ready for the demos

As I mentioned in April, there will be demos of some of the different techniques that we use in doing our art. Here is a list of the various demonstrations coming up.


STUDIO INSPIRATIONS
TNT textile needle thread

Sunday demonstrations

May 9th - From brown paper to fabric

May 16th - Shibori

May 23rd - Fabric manipulation

May 30th - Various cording techniques

June 6th - Using the embellisher and felting

June 13th - Screen printing & fabric painting

June 20th - Sampler of processes

I am preparing for the Shibori and the Cording demos and am having too much fun. It is a dangerous to allow myself to start exploring new areas when I am doing further research. However, I let myself get distracted and a little off course (but I was able to wander back on course).

While doing research on getting a real marudai for myself (a Mother's Day present from my wonderful husband), I came across a new thing that I had heard about before, but avidly avoided in the knowledge that it is best not to follow my Internet searches wherever they lead me. This time I did follow. And now am hooked on card weaving. 

I have ordered a kit and a booklet and while waiting I went a wee bit crazy. Not being a patient person, waiting the week and a bit that it would take to get my kit was just too much to bear. So I got out my collection of used gift cards and dead credit cards and started to cut them up and punch them out. VoilĂ , weaving tablets or cards. The photo with the Christmas tree card tablet shows a finished card. These cards are about 2 1/8" square.  I even made a smaller set of cards out of the off cuts (these are about 1 1/4" square and are shown on the tray loom photo).  Then, I fashioned a loom out of a tray (that idea needs more work -- the sides of the tray hamper the weaving a bit) and because of my need to always reinvent the wheel, I made some innovations to the ideas on the Internet (involving Easy Bobs and Sharpie markers). I have woven two bands now and I really enjoy the process. 
I can envision creating bands for purse and bag handles and other trims, as I do with my kumihimo equipment. This is another way to create unique trims for fibre art creations. 

No comments: